Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Training Tip: Spurs

I like to use spurs on all of my horses once they reach a certain level of training. The reason for this is it allows me to give more specific leg cues and it allows me to be much more subtle with my leg. I do not advocate for using spurs in a way that would leave marks or bruising on the horse’s sides. If you have a pair of spurs that is causing your horse to overreact when used correctly, (some horses have more sensitive skin or have less fat on the rib cage), use this trick:

What You Need:
  • Spurs
  • 2 Cotton Balls 
  • Tape 
  • Vetrap 
What you Need
Directions:

Step 1: Take a cotton ball and place it on the end of the spur.  It takes a little trial and error to figure out how to position the cotton, depending on the type of spur.

Step 1
Step 2: Secure the cotton with tape so that it won’t move when you wrap it in step 4.

Step 2
Step 3: Cut the vetrap in half (to make two thinner strips), about 8-10 inches long.

Step 3
Step 4: Wrap the spur with the Vetrap. Be sure to wrap around the heel of the spur so that it won’t slide off the end.

Step 4
Now you have spurs that have a little bit of cushion to help you give more effective cues. This trick can be used with most types of spurs, whether English or Western! I wrap my spurs when I am introducing a horse to spurs and when I am riding a horse that is a little ribby.  The vetrap is quite durable and lasts several months before I need to re-wrap my spurs.

The Finished Product








No comments:

Post a Comment

Training Horse Profile: Wrigley the Mustang

  Training Goals: Start under saddle Continue to build confidence and trust Wrigley is a four-year-old mustang that was recently acquired by...